Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Test of True Love

My daughter and I - two weeks before the twins were born

Three years ago I was living through one of the most unusual experiences of my life. I was pregnant with twins.

To say the pregnancy with my twins was different than with my "singleton" pregnancies would be an understatement. Few things were similar.

For starters, I didn't have morning sickness with my single pregnancies, but I did with my twins. I grew much larger, much faster and I had the most unusual cravings.

It was during one of these cravings that I put my husband through a test of true love. Okay, going through a twins pregnancy is a test of true love in itself, but dealing with a pregnant lady's cravings was pretty intense!

I was about seven months pregnant when I began to crave jalapeño nacho cheese dip. Knowing the dip isn't a favorite of my family's, I fully intended to eat the can I bought all by myself.

As always, I'm the last person to go to bed, and it's usually late. That night it was after 1 a.m. and I was hungry for my cheese dip. When I went to the cupboard, however, it was gone!

Without thinking twice, I knew exactly who ate it. The only other adult in the house - my husband. So I marched upstairs and I woke that poor man up.

"Did you eat my nacho cheese dip?"

He came out of a groggy sleep to a large belly standing over him. "Yes."

I huffed a bit and then got into bed.

"Sorry," he said with a sleepy voice.

I laid there for at least twenty minutes, trying to sleep, but I couldn't. Once a craving entered my brain, there was nothing else to think about.

Finally I tugged on his pajamas. "I can't sleep until I have some cheese dip."

He turned to me. "Seriously?"

I groaned. "I'm serious."

"Do you want me to go to the store and get some more?"

"Yes."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously." I'd never been more serious in my life.

"I didn't think you'd say yes."

"Please. I need my sleep and I won't be able to get it unless I have some nacho dip."

He sighed. "Okay." Then he stood up and began pulling on his jeans. "Do you see what I'm doing? I'm putting my pants on at 2 in the morning to go to the store."

"I see."

"Now I'm putting on my shirt...at 2 in the morning."

"I know."

He grinned at me. "Anything else you want me to get while I'm out?"

Suddenly, the thought of pomegranate juice sounded heavenly, so I asked for some.

"You're serious? Jalapeño cheese dip and pomegranate juice?"

"Yes."

He just shook his head, pulled on his winter parka and left the house.

When he came back at 2:30 in the morning, I was still awake, ready to devour the dip and juice.

"You're probably going to get sick from that stuff," he said as he handed me the bag.

I just smiled. I knew I wouldn't. And I didn't.

When I opened the bag, I found FIVE cans of Jalapeño cheese dip! The next morning I teased him and said: "Once the craving is met, I can't stand the stuff! You've got a lot of cheese dip to eat now."

He didn't care, he just wanted to make sure he didn't have to go back to the store at 2 in the morning.

What about you? Did you have a strange craving while pregnant? If you've never been pregnant, what's the strangest combination of food you've ever eaten?

10 comments:

  1. With # 4, it was wonton soup and Welch's grape juice. By the gallon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me giggle. A lot!! I haven't been pregnant, but my mom craved chicken gizzards with me. Ew, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, made me giggle, too. With my daughter it was tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette, I ate it every day for lunch! With my son Frank's hot sauce on stuff despite the fact I KNEW it would give me terrible heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! So cute! I didn't really go wild with cravings. I mean I like dessert. A lot. So that didn't change. I remember once wanting applesauce more than a million dollars. I got it :) -the applesauce, though now I'd rethink that. And strangely, I liked hot dogs for the first time in my life... of course you're not supposed to eat them while pregnant. Infuriating.

    My hubby had a sympathetic craving that I still tease him about to this day. We had to go to the store at 11 o'clock at night. I waddled along because more than anything it was funny to see him so determined and nearly driven mad. We ended up at the register with a single jar of pickles. The cashier mumbled something under his breath like "women... pfff!" to which I gave a rather loud throat clear and pointed out the guilty party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - that is quite an interesting combination! I've never had wonton soup before - but just reading Welch's Grape Juice makes me thirsty for it!

    Lindsay - Ewwww is right! That makes me feel sick to my stomach!!

    Julia - tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette sounds yummy, especially if there's basil leaves involved! That sounds like a healthy craving - unlike Jalapeño Cheese Dip!!

    Amy - with my first pregnancy I craved McDonald's hamburgers - which wasn't healthy, either! As soon as I had her, I haven't wanted one of those greasy burger since. And I LOVE your hubby's story - that's too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I just love that. I never had any cravings. Other than Chuck E. Cheese salad bar. We would go after each doctor appt.

    My husband still does stuff like that. I'm not pregnant but he knows I'll whine. ;) And maybe, must maybe, he's a really great guy. Obviously like your man. You and your little one look so cute in that picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this was such a great post to read. I'm grinning from ear to ear!
    Food craving memory: I was chatting on the phone during my first pregnancy. When I got off, my husband looked at me and said, "You do realize you sat that and ate an entire jar of green olives, right?"
    I hadn't realized it -- and I hate green olives!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, I love this story. And even though you husband made a teensy misstep in eating your cheese dip in the first place, how sweet of him to rectify the situation eventually...even at 2 a.m. in the morning. Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! You are blessed to have a hubbby willing to go do that. Mine would have told me to go myself to get it, as he wouldn't get out of bed unless the house was on fire! (although with my pregnancies, it could have happened...LOL Pregnancies make me do strange things....)

    As for weird cravings. With my first I craved McDonalds cheeseburgers. Not wierd, but no other fast food burger would do. Mind you this was all I COULD eat, as I spent the first 6 months in the bathroom hovered over the toilet. And with my second......I craved spaghettios and pink lemonade. Both of them I hate to this day! But while pregnant, I couldn't get enough of them.

    Jennifer Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  10. *Grin* Bless that man of yours. And would you look at that cute pic above!

    I heard about this weird craving because of pregnancy thing...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!