Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Mistress of Tall Acre, by Laura Frantz


The Mistress of Tall Acre, a much anticipated novel by Laura Frantz, arrived in my mailbox on Saturday. To say I was excited would be an understatement. I have been waiting for this book since I finished Laura's last story, Love's Fortune, a year ago.
 
The moment I opened the package!
I don't squeal often, but I did then. :)
There is no question in my mind that Laura Frantz is one of the premiere historical voices in Christian Fiction today. Her books have a captivating quality that make you feel as if you are standing inside the story, watching it unfold from the best vantage point in the room. Intrigue, passion, and faith are artfully woven together with vibrant colors and textures. Her voice is stunning, her attention to historical detail is superb, and her characters are breathtakingly realistic. She brings early American history to life in a way few other authors achieve.
 
The very first scene of The Mistress of Tall Acre grabbed me by the heartstrings and I knew I was in for an emotional journey. As General Seamus Ogilvy, a hero of the American Revolution, meets his infant daughter for the first time, we fall in love with both the general, and the baby girl. This scene is a study in contrasts. Weakness and strength, protection and vulnerability, longing and satisfaction. I felt an instant bond with Seamus and I began to root for him, even before I knew who his enemies were. 
 
The second scene begins five years later, at the end of the Revolution, when we meet Sophie Menzies, General Ogilvy's neighbor. She is a woman broken in body and soul, but not in spirit. The war has taken almost everything from her, but it has not stolen her hope.
 
When Seamus comes home from the war, a widower with a young daughter to raise, he and Sophie agree to a marriage of convenience. Their neighborly friendship soon turns to something more--until a woman from Seamus's past arrives on his doorstep, and threatens the life they've built together.
 
As always, Laura's book mesmerized me. I read it in one day (thank you to my husband and children for the mini-vacation!).
 
 
I love so much about her stories--but I think it's the romance that enchants me so. I'm not exactly sure how she does it, but she makes me feel as if I'm falling in love right along with the characters--so when they rejoice, I rejoice, and when they mourn, I mourn. But there is always hope in the happily-ever-after, which Laura delivers with finesse.
 
I loved The Mistress of Tall Acre, and I highly recommend this book. But beware: you won't want to put it down. ;)
 
Happy Reading!
 
**I have a winner from my guest post with Karen Barnett! The winner of a copy of Beyond the Ashes is Edward Arrington! Congratulations, Edward. I'll be contacting you soon.**

9 comments:

  1. I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll love it!!!! :) She mentions how she came about the name Seamus Michael Ogilvy in the back of the book. ;)

      Delete
  2. It's pretty much perfect, isn't it, Gabrielle?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rel! I also read your review and am happy to know I have others who understand why I love Laura's books so much. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful description of sweet Laura's writing, Gabrielle - amen to every comment. I don't have the book yet, but know I will want to read it cover-to-cover, in one sitting - just as you did. Likewise - I, too, have been waiting for it since reading her last release, a year ago.

    Laura's writing is in a class by itself - some time ago, I pondered the perfect words to describe it, and what it means to me. A few of the ones that came to mind are: elegant, eloquent, and beautiful - yet humble. I feel they describe Laura, herself, also.

    Can't wait to read 'The Mistress of Tall Acre'!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Bonnie. It's hard to describe how Laura's writing affects me/us. Her words nestle down deep in my soul, and find a resting place there. Something beautiful and magical happens on the pages of her books. The words you used to describe Laura's stories and her are perfect. Elegant, eloquent, and beautiful. We could add so many more, couldn't we? Though I haven't met Laura in person, I think her stories are an extension of her heart, and it's a beautiful heart at that. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, your review of this is just stunning, Gabe. You highlight such details from the story that are lovely and winsome and intriguing and more. Poetic, too! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for taking time for Tall Acre and its occupants at a time when I know your own cup overflows with busyness/blessings. You are such a wonderful friend and fellow author. Thanks, too, for Bonnie, Rel, Susan, Jennifer and their very gracious comments. I am so blessed by you all and very thankful the Lord showed up in fresh ways for me when writing this story. <3

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!