Monday, April 9, 2012

5 Blogging Tips

These past two months have been an intense learning experience, for writing and for blogging. As I've combed through the blogosphere, investigated other blogs, and asked some questions, I've discovered five tips for blogging:

1. Post often
The best way to keep people coming back to your blog is to post often. I attempted blogging last fall, but I didn't understand this concept at the time. I posted once a month, maybe, and my statistic showed it. Generally, people don't wake up in the morning and run to their computer to see if you've added something to your blog (unless it's a devoted family member). You have to blog often so that people see your name over and over again. Remind them you're around and you have something to say.

2. Visit other blogs
People aren't out there looking for you, unless you're a published author, a television personality, a politician, etc., people probably don't know who you are. Get out there and introduce yourself. Read their blogs and then comment on them. Let them know who you are and what you're about. If they like what you have to say, they may pop over and take a look at your blog and may even decide to follow you.

3. Write for your reader - not yourself
We're busy people. We visit blogs to read something of interest to us. I go to blogs that teach me about writing, publishing and blogging. I also enjoy blogs that help my faith journey and my parenting journey. If a blog can give me good information in an engaging manner, I'm going back to it.

4. Click on other blog comments
When I'm on a blog that I enjoy reading, I will click on the people who commented on that blog and follow their link. I have found an amazing group of bloggers this way. Most people who follow the blogs I follow are aspiring authors, so their blogs are full of information and topics that are very helpful to me. Not only are they helpful, but I can relate to them. Each person is on a different phases of the journey and they have a different perspective I can learn from. I love connecting with other writers this way.

5. Building a following takes time
A good relationship grows over time and shared experiences, and it's no different in the blogging world. Show people you are genuinely interested in getting to know them and they may show you the same courtesy. So be patient and work on those relationships!

What have you learned about blogging? Any tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!