Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kreativ Blogger Award

I've been given an award by my blogging friend, Gwendolyn Gage! Gwen was one of the first people I started following back in February when I discovered the blogosphere. I saw her name on Laura Frantz' website and clicked on her. I'm so happy I did, because I've absolutely loved getting to know Gwen and spending time on her blog.

As a part of the award, I'm to share 7 interesting things about myself, and then grant this award to 7 other blogs. 



7 Interesting things about me:

1. I'm the fifth generation on my Dad's side of the family to live in Minnesota and the third generation to live in our hometown.

2. My mom is the mayor of our town. She's the second female mayor we've ever had. Here's a blog post I wrote in honor of her in March.

3. I'm a member of a Sister City Exchange program between my city and Le Bourget, France. In 2009 I visited France for the first time and stayed with a host family. I've helped host the French people in our city three times now and it's one of my favorite things to do.

4. I have a phobia of wood ticks. This hearkens back to a bad memory from childhood.

5. The greatest inspiration for my writing comes from things that are timeless: a thunderstorm, a lake or river, a grove of pine trees, an open field, a sunset. I'm also inspired by people and events in the past.

6. I've wanted to be a mommy since I was three years old. I remember walking around our house, when I was little, with a ball under my shirt, pretending I was pregnant! Next to being a wife, being a mommy is the greatest privilege of my life.

7. My sister is visiting from Colorado this week with her baby!!!

7 Kreativ Blog Award Winners:

I couldn't possibly pick only seven! If you read this post, consider yourself a winner and share it on your blog!

What about you? Do you have any phobias of creatures? What's your greatest inspiration for writing? 

13 comments:

  1. Fun to learn more about you! :)

    I'm always afraid I'll come across a rattlesnake here when I'm hiking, but so far, in the 21 years I've been in AZ, I haven't ever seen one but in the zoo!

    And I get my writing inspiration from subjects I'm passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister has lived in Colorado for seven years and she's already come across three rattlesnakes! One was just outside her apartment door in Littleton, CO! That would scare me, too.

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm not actually that freaked out my lots of creatures. Snakes, spiders, mice...ooh, but rats. Yeah, not a fan.

    My greatest inspiration for writing...honestly, anytime I read an a-m-a-z-i-n-g story, I'm inspired. I looove good stories, and I especially love good stories that reflect--whether directly or indirectly--God's love and our purpose here on earth. So, that always inspires me to write a story of my own. Also inspired by awesome people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get inspired when I see, hear or read other people's inspired works of art. Paintings, songs, books - it doesn't matter. I love reading a good story - actually, it was Laura Frantz' books that inspired me back in January to sharpen my pencil and get busy writing the story in my own heart!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's so cool about your mom!!

    I have a semi phobia with bugs in general being in the house. It's my kryptonite. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live on the Mississippi, so we have a plethora of bugs in and near our house - strange little bugs I've never seen anywhere else. It's not pleasant, but worth it to live near the river.

      My mom is an encouragement and inspiration in my life - and a good mayor for our town.

      Delete
  4. Gabrielle, what a treat to get to know you better! I don't think I've ever seen a wood tick - maybe we don't have those in Texas. Now I need to google that horrible creature. :)

    For me, it's dolls. They are CREEPERS. They've always given me the willies. I never played with them as a little girl and freaked out if my grandmother put one in the middle of my bed when I went to visit her. This was WAY before the Chucky movies, too. Simply put: Dolls wake up in the middle of the night to kill you in your sleep. Just sayin'. :)

    My inspiration comes from people who live out their faith courageously regardless of what anyone else says. And, of course, Scripture is the ultimate source of inspiration ... and challenge ... and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have wood ticks, maybe I should move to Texas! They are tiny little bugs that burrow into your skin and suck your blood! Eww! And the tiniest of them are deer ticks that are usually the size of a pin head (or smaller) and carry a debilitating, even fatal disease called Lymes - if it's not treated early on. If Lymes is treated early enough it's curable. Need I say more about this Fall of Creation?

      And dolls?!?! As a little girl I always had a doll in my arms - and I hoped they'd wake up at night - obviously not to kill me - but to be real! :)

      Delete
  5. I hate ticks too! I had on on my neck, just in my hair line, when I was little. I had a terrible stiff neck and was feeling pretty sick. We didn't know what was wrong with me. My mom was brushing my hair when I heard the terror in her voice as she called my dad. I remember them calling the doctor and taking me to his office. That thing was big - pea size - and had been sucking my blood for several days.

    I always wear tick protection when going into a field or woods. I probably over do it.

    Fun learning more about you, Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! That sends terror into my heart. :) When I was little I had a crop of hair (still do) and my aunt used to call me rag mop and run her fingers through it whenever she passed by me (I loved when she did it) - but this one time she kind of stopped and inspected my head - only to find a GIGANTIC blood sucking tick in there! It was like June Bug size by that time (for this reason I cannot eat cooked raisins, as they remind me of over sized wood ticks). That night I had a nightmare that they were crawling all over me and since then we have not been friends.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!!! I love that your mom is the mayor! And I hate mice and other furry rodent-ish creatures. Hate. Them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your mom is the mayor! And you're part of an exchange program with France! I'll bet you could tell some stories! I visited Paris once when I was a teen, and I've always wanted to go back. Great post, Gabrielle! I loved learning more about you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica - I'm very proud of my mom! She instilled in all of her children a sense of community and volunteerism, she'd amazing.

    Gwen - It was especially fun to visit France while staying in a host family home - you see so much more of a place when you're with someone who actually lives there. I have wonderful memories and hope to go back many times in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!