Sunday, August 4, 2013

Preparing for a Writer's Conference

 
Last year at this time I made the decision to attend my first writer's conference! I registered for the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) Conference in Dallas, Texas.
  
Right before the Gala Awards Dinner in 2012
It was one of the best decisions I've made for my writing career.
 
Before I went, I wanted to make sure I was as prepared as possible. I perused countless blogs looking for everything I would need to know about a writing conference. My thought was that I would be less nervous if I knew what to expect.
 
I had the right idea. I went to the conference fully prepared...but I still felt nervous--it just goes with the territory! I was also excited and anxious--but above all, I felt hopeful.

The first night I had supper with all these fabulous ladies!
I think the biggest reason we go to a conference is because we have hope--and we should. We have hope that we'll get the break we've been longing for. Where else can we meet with a wide range of agents and editors? Where else can we learn, first-hand, about the industry? It's a fabulous event for any writer, aspiring or published.
 
This year I'm going back to the ACFW Conference with a lot more experience, less nerves, but just as much hope.
 
Since last year, I signed with a fabulous agent, received amazing feedback from editors, and finaled in a prestigious writing contest. But as of right now, I haven't signed a book contract...which means I'll be pitching to editors again this year.

Yes, agented authors still have to pitch at writing conferences! It's the best way to meet an editor and to put a face with a name.
 
My first pitching appointment last year!
The lovely editor I'm chatting with
sent me this wonderful picture.
Once again, I'm going to the conference fully prepared. I have arrived at quite a few milestones on my writing journey this year, but I know I have a long way to go.
 
Over the next several Mondays I plan to share some of my conference experiences from last year. I will talk about what surprised me, what I wished I would have known before I went, what I would have done different and what I plan to do the same. I'll also talk about all those things unique to a writer's conference like business cards, one-sheets, pitching appointments, thank you notes (that an agent & editor will remember) and all the extras.
 
Your Turn: If you've been to a writer's conference, how did you feel going the first time? If you haven't been to a writer's conference, what would you like to know? If you're going to ACFW, how are you feeling right now?

27 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful time, Gabrielle. I'm sure you'll make the most of the experience, and I hope good things come from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keli, I'll miss you this year! Hoping excellent things for you, as well. Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I've been to two ACFW conferences and loved them both! and I'm super stoked!! and insanely nervous!!! When you want something so badly it's hard to have a kick back attitude. :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jaime! I can't imagine not being nervous. Looking forward to meeting you in person!

      Delete
  3. YAY ACFW. I can't wait!! I'll definitely be looking forward to your posts on the conference, Gabe. :)

    I was pretty darn excited for my first conference in 2010. It definitely lived up to my expectations. :) As for how I'm feeling right now as I look toward this year's...I'd say frazzled. Yep, that's the right word: frazzled. But in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine frazzled is a good word for you! And not only because of ACFW, but also because your book releases a week later! I hope I can help!!

      Delete
  4. ACFW ... here we come! I took the baby step, baby step approach to writers conferences. I started locally (think small) and then worked my way up to ACFW and the My Book Therapy retreats. And pitching? I love it now ... but it took a while to change nerves into anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, your vlog about pitching last year was sooooo helpful to me (as was your help at the Pitch & Promotion Seminar!). Despite the nerves, I loved pitching last year and I look forward to it again this year. I just need to practice!!

      Delete
  5. You've had an incredible year since last year's ACFW conference! And I'm rooting for you that even more good things happen. I'll miss this year's conference since it falls within 2 weeks of my manuscript deadline. Gotta focus on first things first. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, we'll all miss you! Praying for your deadline and all the amazing things your study will do for the Body of Christ. Can't wait to see what you're working on!

      Delete
  6. I attended my first conference 2 years ago and am going back this year. I think I'm more nervous this time, since I went in with a newbie's greenness last time.

    Feeling so unprepared, but I still have several weeks to get my act together!

    Looking forward to your posts!

    Cheers,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I recommend going to some of your favorite writer blogs and searching their archives for information to help you prepare. I put a lot of time into my preparation last year and I felt a lot more confident walking through those doors. You still have time! Looking forward to sharing what I can here.

      Delete
  7. Yay, I'm so glad you came last year and so glad we'll both be there again this year!! Woot woot!!

    I'm feeling a little stressed knowing how much I want to get done before ACFW. Just trying to pace myself and remain hopeful about what all it holds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to blow them out of the water this year, Lindsay! I can't wait to see you and cheer you on during the Gala Awards Banquet!! I know you'll get it all done. :)

      Delete
  8. This year's conference will be my sixth overall but only my second time at ACFW. My last conference and last ACFW conference was in '07.

    So I'm eager to hear what you have to share, Gabrielle. I'm not a newbie, but I'm probably a bit rusty.

    Thirty-nine days! So much to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Sixth conference! I hope you'll share all your experience and knowledge here with us over the next several weeks. Looking forward to meeting you in person, Sally!

      Delete
    2. I do hope we get to run in to each other too. Now off to work on a gazillion conference-related things!

      Delete
  9. This post is just getting me more and more excited about conference! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I've had such a busy month of July, I haven't had more than a few minutes to think about the conference! Now that I'm starting to prep for it, I'm getting really excited. Looking forward to meeting you, Laurie. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I keep telling myself "Hey, you have been through Bolivian airport security. You can do this!!"

    Right now?

    Please, I'll take that pat-down!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel that same way when I have to give a speech. I think: "I'd rather..." And then fill in the blank with some other terrifying thing I've had to do! You're going to shine, Jennifer! You'll blow them away with your humor and confidence. Can't wait to meet you in person!!

      Delete
  11. Gabrielle, I'm looking forward to your posts too. You have such wisdom. :) I LOVED meeting you face-to-face last year after getting to know you a bit online. I'm still trying to finish up my writing project. It's going to be a cram for me to get everything ready. Praying already about that. :) I'm excited to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see you again, too, Jeanne! Sometimes that cramming is exactly what we need to get something done. ;) I hope my posts are helpful. I'm thinking through all the experiences I had and trying to figure out what wisdom or knowledge I can give that will be helpful. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete
  12. I always feel so nervous when first attending a writers conference, especially with pitching to editors and agents. I'm super excited for ACFW this year. I think I may feel a bit lost at first but with so many friends and familiar faces, I know it will be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, I'm so excited to meet you in person! We need to plan on eating at least one meal together. It dawned on me the other day that I've never heard your publishing story. I can't wait to visit! And you're going to fit right in! ;)

      Delete
  13. You will have such a grand time, girl! I am so excited for the journey that God has set you on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were going to be there, Sherrinda! I'm so thankful we had an chance to meet last year. The memory of your lovely smile still warms my heart. :)

      Delete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!