Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Giving it Up to God

Recently, I've been reading a lot of "how to" books on writing.  I am gleaning great information and useful techniques about character development, plot, dialogue, etc., but something I read last night has really shown me how I can be the best writer possible: Give my writing back to God and let Him do with it what He will.  This thought isn't new to me, but it was a very timely reminder and an excellent opportunity to make a commitment to Him as I set out on this journey

I remember a time, almost fifteen years ago, when I had fallen head over heels in love with a certain young man (my Hubby).  We were "friends," but I wanted to be so much more.  I remember the nine months I spent agonizing over the silliest things, hoping and praying with all my heart that he would return my feelings and that we could start moving towards our future together.

One night as I prayed, I specifically remember telling God I was tired of doing things on my own.  I was tired of striving to make myself perfect, I was tired of the ups and downs of my fickle emotions, and I was tired of worrying about the unknown future.  I made a promise to God that night that I would lay Hubby in His hands and whatever He chose to do with him, I would trust God to do it.  I finally had peace as I let it all go.

A funny and amazing thing happened.  About a week later Hubby started showing up at my front door, seeking me out, instead of the other way around.  I remember being calm and peaceful, amazed at how God had been working.  I remember spending hours just talking and listening.  The next day Hubby came back again, and the next day, and the next day.  It has been fifteen years since I put Hubby (and my future) into God's hands.  We will celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary this year and I couldn't have planned a better marriage or future, had I continued to do it on my own.  God was faithful when I submitted to Him and has blessed me in abundance for it.

This is just one of countless examples of God's abiding faithfulness to me when I have submitted to Him.  And I know, as I give my writing back to Him, He will be faithful to do with it what He deems best, the reason for which He created it to begin with.  Ultimately, in my writing and in my marriage, I pray that my submission brings about glory and honor to Him.  Dear, Jesus, this is my utmost prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!