Thursday, July 18, 2013

What's a Dental Pelican?

On Wednesday I shared pictures of two items that would have been common to people in their day, but now they appear very unusual to our 21st Century eyes.
 


The first is a hand-held corn planter. The seed corn would go in the little box on the right and when the farmer placed the pointed end into the ground and pushed the handles together, a seed would drop out of the box. This handy tool allowed the average farmer to plant four acres of corn a day. In 1902 the Sears, Roebuck & Co. advertised an Acme corn planter for 56 cents.

 
This item is not for the faint of heart! It's called a Dental Pelican and was widely used by dentists to extract teeth before 1742 when the dental key came into use.
 
 
This is the dental key. It was widely used (with some modifications) until the end of the 19th Century when the more modern forceps were introduced.
 
 
 
Modern dental extraction tool...looks a lot nicer than the Dental Pelican! I'm so thankful for medical advancements.
 
What about you? Did these items surprise you? What medical advancement are you thankful for?

13 comments:

  1. This is great Gabe. I just had my first crown put on this year. I'd rather be anywhere else but the dentist. Glad I didn't live in the pelican-age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! At least now we have medicine and anesthesia to help with the pain. I had to have a root canal three years ago because my tooth abbsessed. At that point I was in so much pain if there hadn't been any other option but pulling it with that scary dental pelican, I would have probably been glad!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, just thinking about those dental tools makes me queasy! I am thankful for SO many medical advancements...such as numbing and anasthesia...which I apparently have NO idea how to spell. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Melissa!! Thank God for modern medicine. ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm with Melissa on the dental tools. It's neat to know this cool history, though. I love seeing people's ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of that, too, Donna. It's amazing how ingenious we humans are and how God loves to work through people!

      Delete
  4. Due to a recent fainting spell, Jennifer Major can no longer comment on this page.

    Seriously woozy...that dental pelican? AHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my concerns when I chose the dental pelican! But I couldn't help it--that thing is amazing, or at least, it's amazing how far we've come! I hope you're feeling better now. ;)

      Delete
  5. I was right! Elements of torture indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to giggle when I saw your comment in Wednesday! You were right! Except, in the defense of our forefathers, they did the best they could. Although that thing looks scary, it was ultimately helping people. ;)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dental history is not very as it seen now, In previous time dental treatment are more painful and it feel like touching as hell. Thank god!! now everything is changed now, i mean it change a lot as compare to past decade. Find right dentist in newport beach or other part of California with the help of google map

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!