Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Way Back When-sday: What is that?

A couple weeks ago I shared two items that would have been common to people of a by-gone era, but appear very strange and unusual to us today.

I thought it would be fun to share two more items and hear what you think. I'll give you a couple helpful hints today and then I'll tell you what they are--and how they were used--on Friday! Happy guessing.

This item is about three feet tall. Its
design was patented in 1886.

This item is from the 17th Century and fits in the hand.
What do you think they are?

8 comments:

  1. post hold digger and a back scratcher? or is that bottom one iron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, missed the 3 feet tall in the top one. oh well. maybe a planter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post hole digger or planter, and something for drawing perfect circles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, at first glance that top one looked like stilts to me, then I realized it's all one piece and not two separate pieces. Ummm...I have no good guesses...I am not mechanical at all, so I could look at something that is probably some kind of useful tool forever and still have no idea what its purpose is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! The first item looks like an old-school post hole digger, while the second looks like something used to grab hay bales. (Dude, I just had to look up how to spell bale. City girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the guesses! Melissa, I thought you'd get that first one for sure...being from Iowa and all...hint, hint, hint. :) Thanks for having some fun with me, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Donna on the second one. But that first one...I THINK....is used to dig like a roto-tiller would now a days. There should be a blade on the bottom...then you hook up a line between a horse and the handles and he pulls it and drags it across the field to dig the soil up to plant. Fun items!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elements of torture?

    No clue.

    Can't wait to see what they really are! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!