Friday, July 12, 2013

My One Show


I have this crazy addiction to the Cosby Show. I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode--and some quite a few times. We have it set to record on our DVR and everyone in the family watches it. I love that my children are discovering it for the first time.

I grew up watching the Huxtables. Even though we had few similarities, they were like an extension of my family. I lived in a small Minnesota town and they lived in New York City. I was Euro-American and they were African-American. My family didn't have a lot of material wealth and they were extremely wealthy.

But somehow, I didn't notice our differences. The life lessons taught by Cliff and Claire Huxtable surpassed all boundaries and overcame all barriers between our worlds. Through laughter and tears, the Cosby Show taught me about unconditional love, courage, honor and family--things I want my own children to learn.

The show dealt with weighty issues, but they never broke our trust as a viewer. I love that about the Cosby Show.

If I could only watch one television show for the rest of my life, it would be the Cosby Show.

What about you? If you could only watch one television show for the rest of your life, which would it be and why?

5 comments:

  1. That is a good show. I need to introduce my kids :) I love the Amazing Race. So fun to see the determination, teamwork and the beautiful places/people around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love the Cosby show. Only one show for the rest of my life...? That's hard...and I don't even watch that much TV. :) I'm tempted to say M*A*S*H...that show can make me LOL and tear up in the same episode. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really grow up watching this show, but have seen a few episodes. My husband really loves it.

    I don't watch a ton of TV. But some shows Mike and I have enjoyed together are How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Chuck, and Psych. I think any show that makes us laugh. Together.

    I did really enjoy Boy Meets World as a child. So much so that I asked for the whole set of DVDs for Christmas last year. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would watch Little House on the Prairie. A show that talked about God, had prayer and good moral lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Cosby Show! Love it!

    My fave show (to watch forever) would be The Andy Griffith Show. Mayberry = Love :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!