Monday, July 15, 2013

Paid in Full


I did something this weekend I haven't done in four years. I rented a DVD.

For most people, renting a DVD is a weekly occurrence. In high school and college I was a frequent customer at the local video store. I remember a time when I could walk by most of the new releases and have a hard time finding one I hadn't seen.

When I went into the store on Friday, I couldn't find one I had.

What changed in the past four years? Twins. Parenting in general. We haven't had a lot of time to watch movies since the kiddos came along. And in the past year, I usually spend my free time writing.

But this weekend we had my four nieces over for a slumber party and they requested a movie night. So I found myself browsing the new releases...and then passing up all of them for some old favorites. They watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids for the first time!

But here's the interesting part. For the past four years, I had this niggling feeling every time I passed the video store. I knew I had a late fee--which bothered me. It wasn't a conscious thought, but it hung over me as a reminder that I had something due. An outstanding debt that needed to be met. I didn't know how much I owed, but I was pretty sure it was more than I'd care to admit. I was terrible at returning DVDs on time.

The video store is connected to our grocery store, but I never went in to pay the debt. I just thought I'd pay it the next time I rented a DVD...I never expected it to be four years.

So, with a little trepidation, I walked up to the counter and handed over the DVDs I wanted to rent. The clerk commented that I hadn't rented a movie in four years and then his eyebrows went up and he said: "Oh, it looks like you have a late fee."

I almost cringed. Here it was.

"It's a $1.19."

I blinked. A $1.19? I've been letting a $1.19 bug me for four years? I almost wanted to laugh. I paid my past due bill and walked out of the store with my rented movies.

The funny thing is, that little niggling feeling is gone. My debt has been paid in full. And now I don't have to think about it again.

But here's the thing that struck me. A larger debt has been paid on my behalf. A debt that only Christ can fulfill. When I accepted Him as my Savior, He canceled my debt of sin once and for all. The debt is paid.

And yet, I still allow niggling feelings of guilt or shame to hang over me for past mistakes. Just like walking by the video store and feeling weighed down, there are days I walk through my life feeling the weight of my sin. Condemnation, guilt, shame...you name it.

The amazing truth is that the awesome God I serve has pardoned my debt, wiped my slate clean, and told me to think on my sins no longer. I'm free. As far as He is concerned, the debt has been paid in full.

As I watched the movies that evening, snuggled up with my daughters and nieces, I could only smile.

What about you? When was the last time you rented a DVD? Do you pay your late fees right away, or let them linger? Do you still hold on to the past guilt of debts God has forgiven?

12 comments:

  1. I haven't rented a DVD in quite a while. Time seems to always be an issue.

    I'm one of those people who HAS to pay a debt immediately. I can't stand having it hang over my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thanks for stopping by to say hi today! I wish I was better at paying those small, niggling debts. I usually have a late fee at the library, too! I use my busyness as an excuse, but it's a bad one.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I have no idea when I last rented a dvd!! Not that I don't watch a lot of movies...I do. But they're usually old black and white ones I own. Haha!!

    I love the metaphor here, though. Yeah, I can be one to hold on to a past "debt"--roll it over and over in my head and wish I could change what I've done. But you're so right--God has forgiven me. And the best way I can thank him for that is to find peace in that forgiveness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I owned more of those good old movies. My mom owns quite a few and we used to borrow them from the library, but now I have to rely on recording them on my DVR if I want to see one. I love how you put that. The best way to thank Him is to find peace in His forgiveness. Beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I've used the red box to rent a movie, but it has probably been a year since I did that.

    My son watched Honey I Shrunk the Kids on TV about a month ago, and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nine year old loved it. My seven year old kept burrowing her face in my shoulder. She said over and over: "Will they make it back to the house?!?!"

      Delete
  4. I always loved Honey I Shrunk the Kids!! And yes, we rent movies quite often, though there hasn't been much out lately that seems worth watching. Seems it's that way more and more often.

    Love the metaphor. We're kind of on similar waves of thought today. :) How often we feel ashamed when all we need do is confess our sins and ask God to help us move on. I know a lot of times I feel like I should "know better" and that makes me feel shame all the more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, I was SHOCKED at the movies on the new release shelves! There was very few I would have considered renting, that's why I went for the older ones.

      We were on the same thought waves today! God must want to get this message across to His people. :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful analogy about our paid-in-full debt, Gabe. Your words caused me to think about those who believe that absolving our sin-debt is tied somehow to our works. How much good we can do to erase the bad. Even though it's truly been paid in full, it makes my heart sad that some go through life never fully realizing that truth. Oh, and I agree with you about renting videos! A few weeks ago before I visited Gettysburg, I rented the movie "Lincoln." That's probably the first movie I've rented in 7-8 years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a cool lesson God laid on my heart as I walked out of the video store, Donna. How often do I hold in to past mistakes when God has already forgiven and forgotten them? It's a terrible waste of time and peace.

      Lincoln was incredible! One of the few movies I've seen in a theater in the past few years. :)

      Delete
  6. Joy! Just loved this post and what a great reminder. I work at a library where we forgive the late fees under certain circumstances. When it is very large, we ask that it be at least under 5.00 before they check anything else out. As Christians our debt is paid under every circumstance. Joy:) We don't rent movies much but our kids use Netflix all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Jody! Thank you for stopping in and joining the discussion. I love that your library forgives certain debts. The library is one place I never feel bad about laying down money for past due items. :) I know it's going to a great cause. I hope to see you back here often.

      Delete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!