Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oatmeal Cake Recipe


I had to keep moving the cake out of
Asher's reach to try and get a picture!!

Every time I make this oatmeal cake I have people ask me for the recipe.  Yesterday I made it for my Parents of Multiples ECFE class and two moms asked for it, so I said I would post it on my blog.  It is moist, dense and a tab bit healthy (oatmeal is a super food, after all...).  I have to give a shout out to my friend, Bobbi Jo, who submitted this recipe to our MOPS Cookbook a couple years ago - I hate to take credit for this cake, but it has become one of my staple desserts since I always have the ingredients on hand, it's so simple to make and I LOVE IT.  Enjoy!

1 1/2 c. Boiling Water
1 c. Quick Cooking Oatmeal
1/2 c. Butter (no substitutes)
1 c. Brown Sugar
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/2 c. Flour (I have used oatmeal flour to make it gluten free)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon

Pour water over oatmeal and let stand 20 minutes covered.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan.  Cream together butter and sugars.  Beat in eggs and vanilla, then add flour soda, salt and cinnamon.  Beat well and add oatmeal mixture.  Bake for 30 minutes.  I usually frost it with store bought cream cheese frosting, but you can also frost it with a broiled coconut frosting or Cool Whip.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle, glad to find your blog and twitter feed. I know I'll enjoy your posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabe! I love this cake. I can't believe I made it into your blog :) I really enjoy your writing and can not wait to purchase the book when it publishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments, Bobbi Jo! :) And thank you for the cake recipe, my whole family loves it.

      Delete

Your comments are my favorite part of blogging!